Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?




Review:

I loved Hourglass. I was so happy to finally start reading this that I started and finished it in a few days. It was incredible. Really.

Emerson is my kind of heroin. She's snarky in a funny and not mean way. She can be vulnerable and has had a lot of sucky stuff happen to her, but she doesn't let it destroy her. Those events make her stronger, even when it's being used to try and bring her down. She handled situations perfectly and I just loved her.

And Kaleb. Yeah, he's not the love interest. But. KALEB. I felt like he jumped off the pages in Hourglass. He has such an amazing and big personality. He's strong, can cook (!) and is such a smart ass it only makes me smile.

And since I've mentioned the I-wish love interest, lets talk about Michael. I couldn't bring myself to give this four stars because of him. So I gave it 4.5 because this
book would have been a 5 star rating if not for him. When we first met Michael, I thought he was really cool. He was cute, nice, and caring. But then he started to turn into the 'I can't tell you to protect you' love interests and it just fell flat for me. I flat out refuse these kind of love interests now because it's such a cliche.

McEntire has such an amazing writing
style. I loved it. There wasn't a moment when her writing got boring or when the story got boring. There was also a reason for me to read one more chapter (it was always one more chapter). And I loved how she managed to pull the rug out from under me. I also especially liked how Hourglass wasn't about ghost, but time travel. I felt like this is such a unique novel in YA because lets face it, how many time travelling novels are there? Not many.

Hourglass is definitely a must-read if you haven't read it already. It's
full of action, suspense, romance (even if I didn't entirely believe it, I can appreciate it), and just plain awesomness.
Review: 4.5 star
Date Published: June 14th 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA

Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Date Read: May 2012
Page Count: 387
Series/Stand Alone: Hourglass #1

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! If only I had liked it half as much but alas, I didn't really care for Hourglass. Em kinda bugged me. It's a good thing you won't have to wait long for the sequel, since it comes out in about a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually already read Timepiece! Haha. I got Hourglass just before I got Timepiece for review. Awww. I'm sorry Em bugged you that much :( that sucks! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I think I should read this soon. :D

    Hello, Ellen! I've given your blog an award. You can find it HERE. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I'll definitely check it out :)

      You definitely should read this. I was kinda surprised about how much I loved it.

      Delete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews