Review: Legend by Marie Lu

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


Review:

I've been sitting on Legend for a while now. Why haven't I gotten around to it yet? I have no idea. All I ever heard were these rave reviews about it, and after being scorned way too many times on endless praise, I sat on it.

However, when you come to read that awesome book, you only just begin to realise what you've been missing out on because it truly is that awesome.

That was Legend.

Honestly, this book had me from page one all the way through the last page. I have no idea why I haven't read it sooner, but you can bet I won't be holding off on the sequel a day past its release.

Reading those first few June chapters were Metias was alive was painful, because I knew he was going to die. Have you ever known something, so made yourself try to prevent it? I tried to prevent even having any sort of emotional attachment to Metias. But those scenes were so familiar to my family banter that I... melted. I melted like a icecream in a desert.

June... June, you are incredible. I loved June's point of view in the military. I loved her struggle against the beliefs and ideals she's been brought up with when this stranger opens her to a new world, even though she's meant to kill him.

Day... Day, be the daylight in my nighttime? (Corny. Pretend I never said that.) Day isn't really much of a love interest in Legend, but just being in his head was enough for me to love him.

I did struggle to believe that both June and Day were 15, but the environment they were both brought up in gave me a pretty clear message that to live you need to be smart and mature. The physical abilities of these two was extradionary. I'm pretty sure I would have fainted before scaling up six stories in around four minutes.

Lu did a fantastic job of opening the reader into the world, not only through the dual point of views, but from placing both the characters in the opposite environment to their upbringing. I think this definitely brought out their character more and allowed Lu to explore.

There wasn't really a moment when I felt bored in Legend. It was a fast-paced, action-packed (really) novel. Despite the fact that occassional June and Day's narrative voice was confusing, I have fallen in love with this book and recommend this to everybody!


Review: 5 stars
Date Published: November 29th 2011
Publisher: Razorbill

Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Date Read: June 2012
Page Count: 305
Series/Stand Alone: Legend #1

6 comments:

  1. I am really excited for Prodigy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this all I want to do is get my hands on Prodigy! The titles are rather fitting too. I guess Legend was for Day (because of all the stuff he did) and Prodigy is for June because of her perfect score and her brother military status.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I haven't read this yet. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O Whhhat? But you're always so on top of fantastic books! How is that even possible? :P Hahaha.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Good review! And great blog layout =)

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both the compliments and for the follow!! :) It's good to know that people enjoy my reviews!

      Delete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews