ARC Review: Timepiece by Myra McEntire

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.


Review:

Okay, I’ll admit, going it I was surprised. And horrified. No Emerson narration? Why? I wanted to scream and curse this damn book to the book style Hell. But, it was Kaleb. And Emerson was on the cover. But I loved Kaleb in Hourglass. I even wanted him and Emerson (psst, I still kind of do) to be together because I thought Michael was just plain boring.

But.

The all important but. Timepiece is truly amazing. This novel just made me love Kaleb even more than I thought I would be able to. Here we get to see how he thinks, how he feels and everything little knack about him. I thought maybe Kaleb wouldn’t be able to live up to Emerson as a narrator—because she’s so witty, real and just plain awesome.
I was just plain wrong.

If anything, this novel has me convinced Emerson and Kaleb belong together because they’re so alike. And while I want that, Kaleb’s love interest is so downright perfect for him that I want them to be together too. (This is so not working out for me!). But what I also really liked about Kaleb narrating was that we get to meet Dune and Nathan and all the dynamics of the Hourglass members. And it felt like a family. McEntire writes dialogue so well and I felt the puzzle coming together with this family dynamic.
The other thing I really loved about Timepiece was the plot. Even the ‘down time’ moments were tense and had me on edge or had me feeling something. I think Kaleb’s empathy ability really allowed me to sympathise with characters that I normally wouldn’t have otherwise because I wouldn’t know their emotions. Timepiece had me feeling emotions left, right and centre because there was so much going on, so much tearing me up.

I loved Hourglass, but I definitely love Timepiece more. I think McEntire took a big risk with the POV change, but it was totally worth it. The plot was fast-paced, I had emotions all over the place and I feel like McEntire grew as a writer and I cannot wait to see what she brings to the table in Infinityglass.

P.S I’m seriously trying to figure out who could be the next narrator.
Review: 5 stars
Date Published: June 12th 2012
Publisher: Egmont USA

Source: Publisher
Format: ebook
Date Read: June 2012
Page Count: 336
Series/Stand Alone: Hourglass #2

2 comments:

  1. This is the next one on my list ... I'm just about to begin it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely and utterly devastated that while I was approved for this ARC in Netgalley I never sent it to my Kindle. The other day I went to download it and BAM it had been archived off.

    No worries, I thought, I'll go order it for my Kindle off Amazon.... it's not available in Australia as an ebook CRY.

    Now I'm devastated lol :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews