Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds expectation.


Review:

In my review of Starcrossed, I only mentioned two problems: my confusion and the romance.

Within the first chapter, my head had wrapped around not only everything that happened in Starcrossed, but the mythology of it too. After that first chapter, I found myself seriously enjoying Dreamless.

If not for the second problem I mentioned: the romance. A bit of a spoiler to anyone who hasn't read Starcrossed, but Helen and Lucas are technically cousins because Helen's dad was Lucas's uncle. This means no Helen and Lucas. Honestly, I was kind of jumping for joy. I liked Lucas a lot, but I didn't find their romance to be what it claimed to be: the start-a-war love. And even though they both knew they were cousins (*), they still flirted with each other! I think incest is the most disgusting thing ever and I wanted to slap this book over and over. Gross, gross, gross!

Then, a solution is brought in: Orion.

I loved this guy. Honestly loved him. Orion might have been the heir and leader of two houses (not meant to happen), but he's smart and strong and handsome and is everything a leader should be. And, he's pretty damn funny. That alone will have me hooked.

The stakes in Dreamless are a lot higher than in Starcrossed, I guess. I feel like the urgency wasn't as big as it supposedly was, but I definitely understood that Helen and the Delos family were in constant danger.

Dreamless was better than Starcrossed with the addition of new characters. And despite how many negatives I've listed, I honestly enjoyed reading Dreamless. It wasn't confusing, there was Orion, and there was constant danger and suspense.
 


Review: 4 stars
Date Published: May 29th 2012
Publisher: HarperTEEN

Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Date Read: June 2012
Page Count: 487
Series/Stand Alone: Starcrossed #2


2 comments:

  1. Great review. I really gotta get on this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tinkerbell! :) I think most people should definitely give Dreamless a shot, even if they disliked Starcrossed.

      Delete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews