Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum

Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.
In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.






Review:




Until I Die, the sequel for Die For Me, had a lot to live up to. I absolutely loved DFM, noting in particular Kate's character growth.

We get to understand more about the war between the Revenants and the numa--their opposites. Where the revenants live for sacrificing themselves for a human life, numa get bad energy and don't care about human life.

This novel spent a lot of its time fleshing out its romance between Kate and Vincent. While at first it was slightly irritating because it slowed down the plot, by the end you understand exactly why it's necessary. The fleshing out of this romance is what makes the ending so painful and such a horrible cliff hanger.

Kate is stronger here then she was before. She's stronger physically and is handling situations on her own before of the bigger magnitude. Sometimes not for the best, but that's all part of growing and learning from your mistakes.

I said in the review for Die For Me that I wish there was more time with the secondary characters. We do get that here, except it's kind of like a slap in a face once you get to the end. (I really wish I could explain it without spoiling, but I can't! For those who have read it, wasn't that slap painful?) Although some characters are absent (Charlotte and Charles) it does give the other characters opportunities to shine, including Kate's own grandparents. 

I really enjoyed Until I Die. I found it to be a balance of light and heavy, with romance and plenty of action. Awesome sequel and I cannot wait for the end!


Rating: 4.5 stars 
Date Read: Jan 2013 
Date Published: May 8th 2012 
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Source: paperback 
Format: gifted 
Series/Stand Alone: Revenants #2

4 comments:

  1. I have both of these books but haven't read them yet! There just aren't enough hours in the day to get through my tbr pile!
    Glad you enjoyed these, I might have to do a buddy read with someone to get them read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend this series, although if you haven't read the first two yet wait until the third one comes out because it has a horrible ending! Haha.

      I've never heard of a buddy read before!

      Delete
  2. I thought this one was a bit slow, but that ending just killed me! I have a copy of the third book, but I'm scared to start b/c I have no idea what to expect!!!!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a copy of the third book? Ah! Insanely jealous of you, although I completely understand your hesitation. I think the beginning was a bit slow, but it definitely picked up towards the end.

      Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer! :)

      Delete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews