Review: Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill


The story of a young heiress's initiation into the dark society of the Chicagoland Vampires continues:

Ten months after vampires revealed their existence to the mortals of Chicago, they're enjoying a celebrity status usually reserved for the Hollywood elite. But should people learn about the Raves--mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle--the citizens will start sharpening their stakes.

So now it's up to the new vampire Merit to reconnect with her upper class family and act as liaison between humans and bloodsuckers, and keep the more unsavory aspects of the vampire lifestyle out of the media. But someone doesn't want peace between them--someone with an ancient grudge.





Review:


I dove head first into Friday Night Bites just minutes after I finished Some Girls Bite. Needless to say, the first book left a great impression and I am just so thankful for wireless Internet and my Kindle. So thankful.

Friday Night Bites highlights a new problem that was foreshadowed in the first book. In order to sustain peace, Merit must reconnect with her socialite family. Merit, who has always been the black sheep, isn’t too happy about this but has taken her new role as Sentinel very seriously, she reconnects.

Like most second books we are introduced to a new supernatural species. Not so much as introduced, but highlight I guess. This book seems to be the book for shifters. Shifters have not come out to the public, not wanting to become science experiments which I completely understand. The dislike between vampires and shifters is here, as is the usual political game between species which is a common tension adder.

One thing I think that is worth mentioning is that this book starts immediately after the first one ends. As in, days after. Some books take massive breaks or even a few weeks and months. Not this series.

Having said that, and understanding that this is the second book, I don’t entirely find some of the relationships too believable. When I say this, I’m mainly thinking about Mallory and Catcher, who have been together for two weeks are making announcements of love and already live together (since Merit decided to move into the Cadogan House). This is one trait in YA that extremely annoys me—the insta love—and it usually doesn’t follow through into adult. I can’t help but be disappointed in this aspect.

The other relationship I love to talk about is Merit and Ethan’s and Morgan’s. Oops. Forgot about that other guy. In fact, I’ll just pretend he doesn’t exist, just like Merit seems to forget when she’s around Ethan. Sparks fly off the page when these two are in the same room and I love it. All that tension? Eek! I do feel slightly angry at Merit for leading Morgan on—but I could never see their relationship working from the very beginning if I’m too be honest (and no, that’s not because I’m a fan of Ethan).

There are other subplots in Friday Night Bites that have carried onto the third book (which I’m halfway through), so I won’t spoil it for anyone. Inner and external conflict always seem to rise in these books, as well as the action and awesome character growth, which is what is making this series so awesome and fun to be a part of!

Rating: 4 stars
Date Read: Feb 2013
Date Published: October 6th 2009
Source: bought
Format: ebook
Series/Stand Alone: Chicagoland Vampires #2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews