Review: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood.






Review:



After trying many time to get into her young adult Firespell series, and epically failing, I decided to give her adult series a shot. Man, oh man, oh man. 

Some Girls Bite is the story of Merit who is turned a vampire against her will when attacked at night on her university campus. 

Firstly, I loved the characters introduced. You have Mallory, Merit's witchy room mate who is just a ball of fun. Then there's Catcher--he's also a witch (but don't call him that). He's sexy, funny, and totally in love with Mallory. You have the shifter Jeff, who acts as your residential nerd and hacking geek but everything about him is so dang cute. Then there's Ethan. I'm not sure what to say about him other than the fact that when Merit and Ethan are on the page together: whoa. Look out, I think my book just went up in smokes.

Neill knows how to write sexual tension, I'll just tell you that.

One of the things that stood out most to me about our protagonist is her thinking. I seriously applause this girl for not just jumping right into Ethan's lap (even if I was silently encouraging her). She saw the good and bad in it and thought about how being his mistress would make sure. She stood up for what she wanted (a committed relationship) and I respect her for that.

Some Girls Bite does have a murder mystery, which seems to be the M.O for the first book in any adult PNR or UF series out there. The villain in the end was slightly expected (I'm getting much better at picking up author patterns), but did make plausible sense. I don't like it when the villain seems to be a random name pulled out of a hat.

The last thing I really enjoyed about this book was its flow. It flowed so easily, her voice was developed fully, which made this a nice morning read.

I really do recommend this book, even if you are a tad bit over vampires. It's fresh, it's light, and it's immensely enjoyable!



Rating: 4 stars 
Date Read: 3rd January 2013 
Date Published: April 7th 2009 
Publisher: NAL trade 
Format: ebook 
Source: Bought 
Series/Stand Alone: Chicagoland Vampires #1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews