Review: Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison







A  modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school








Review:

Before this novel I'd never heard of the German tale of Tristan and Isolde. But, that being said, this story was extremely predictable on more than one level.

I think my biggest problem with this novel was the execution and Izzie. I couldn't connect with the characters. I couldn't relate to them and at times I felt like their characterisation wasn't true to themselves even. I have no idea how this stacks up to the original tale and maybe I would have appreciated Tris and Izzie a bit more if I'd known it. But I simply can't.

The characters reactions aren't true to themselves and at times neither are their actions. And the romance is definitely not the best here. I think the entire Bella/Edward relationship has more truth, trust and love than the two (three) pairings in this novel.

The writing and the cover were the best things. The writing definitely portrayed the voice of Izzie, somethings too much at times, and the descriptions were crystal clear. That was the best thing, the thing that kept me reading. Despite the not so great characters, the lack of setting, the writing flowed well and allowed me to go from one chapter to the next without a long break (I didn't read this in one sitting. More like three, I think).

Overall, I think this was a so-so read. There were a lot of areas that I think the author could have used to make this novel stronger. It was cute and the writing didn't make you want to poke your eyes out, but it wasn't anything worth screaming for.


Review: 2 stars
Date Published: October 11th 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA 

Source: publisher
Format: ebook
Date Read: July 2011
Page Count: 272
Series/Stand Alone: stand alone
*Note: this review is from an ARC edition and has been republished on the blog as a part of me moving reviews over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews