Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


Review:
I started this in July while I was babysitting my younger cousin. Even then, by the time I got half-way I was bored, stopped reading, and picked up something else.
I'd really like to give this book four stars, because I feel like it deserves that. But in truth, I put the book down for almost half a year before I decided to pick it back up again which should say something.
Anna, no matter how irritatingly innocent and naive she is, I couldn't hate. I think the reason why I couldn't hate her was because she knew she was naive and innocent. When characters are unexplainable innocent about certain things, it's frustrating and unrealistic. Here, Anna is a sweet angel, mind her half-demonic heritage. She's big on her beliefs and she can be strong and independent when she needs to be.
Kaidan was a sweetheart. When I try to think of why I shouldn't like him, I think of the scene where he forces himself to stop kissing Anna, despite the fact that it's his very nature. 
The lore of the Nephilim in this book is certainly interesting. Each of the seven sins has a Duke and that Duke has children (who are Nephilim) and they all have to inflict their sin onto the world. I'm a little rusty on it all since it's been a while since I read the book, but it's just so creative and original that I could not not love it. 
The only other issue I had with Sweet Evil would be that it was a little anticlimatical. I felt like the climax was so well built that once we hit the tip of the iceberg it was blunt. That left a rather sad taste in my mouth because then the ending wasn't as glorious as it could have been. But I'll head around for the sequel. Absolutely.


Source: bought

Format: ebook

Series/Stand Alone: Sweet Evil #1 

Review: 3.5 stars

Date Read: Finished Second Attempt, December 2012

Date Published: May 1st 2012 










0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews