Review: FIrelight by Sophie Jordan




Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

Review:



I love dragons. They are amazing and seriously cool. They breathe fire. They are pretty. And dangerous.

I'm trying a new review technique and it involves using some techniques the author uses. Fragments. So many useless fragments. That was the only issue I had with Jordan's writing style. Otherwise, I loved its simplicity. I'm not a huge fan of purple prose and so I was able to effortlessly flow into this book.

The only other downside was that this was a modern setting. I didn't really pay much attention to the blurb, knowing that Firelight is a trilogy that's slowly ending and it's about a girl who turns into a dragon. There's not much else too know. However, when I realised what time period it was, I was kind of disappointed. I wanted a "true" fantasy dragon legend and sadly Firelight didn't deliver in that aspect. 

Jacinda was a great narrator. I didn't find her too much of anything and I did understand her craving for her pride and the need to let her Draki live. It was like her Draki was always beneath the surface, another part of her. I could understand her hatred for the desert (the quickest environment to kill a Draki) and I had no problem with her.

The triangle was a bit of a problem, but it essentially wasn't there. Jacinda, before leaving, was meant to be with Cassian to create more fire breathers (because she's the last and it's incredibly rare), but Will (a hunter) kept her Draki alive when she was near him. I didn't like this one bit because the moment Will entered the page, Jacinda turned stupid. It was like a switch. I wanted to brake the damn switch.

Despite my complaints, Firelight isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. I kept flipping the page, there weren't too many boring moments, and it did have an original concept. 

The fact that I'll return for the sequel should be knowledge enough.


Review: 3 stars
Date Published: September 2010
Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Date Read: December 2012
Page Count: 326
Series/Stand Alone: Firelight #1 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews