Review: Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.







Review:

Under the Never Sky kind of took me by surprise. I heard both good and bad things about it, but none of those reviews put it at the top or the bottom of my massive tbr pile. However, I seriously wish I put it at the top.

The beginning of this novel wasn't all that great. Aria was ignorant, annoying and didn't seem like she'd survive a day out in the wild. But by the end of the book, Aria is smart. She times her actions, she learns about how to survive in the wild, and turns out to be a pretty damn smart and enjoyable MC. Our other MC, Perry, I loved to death and will continue to love until after this series if finish if the sequel lives up to this standard. Perry was much like Aria, but not. He was tough, resiliant, caring, and completely loyal to those that mattered to him. I think their building love was what really blew this book away for me. I couldn't pick the chapter or moment when they suddenly fell in love. Because they really hadn't been 'suddenly in love'. It was a nice build in trust and love.

The plot wasn't slow and it wasn't jam packed either. A lot of it is spent travelling to places, but just when it seems to feel like an old stint, Rossi throws in something to excite readers. Whether that be an attack from cannables or an amazingly awesome character of Roar. It was steady in the on the edge of your seat kind of way.

While there are definitely some things that needed clarification (there wasn't much explanation on Aether), I felt like I could read the book without it. Rossi's descriptions were incredible and everything just felt so real. And it had the perfect tinge of sci-fi (I've been having an odd sci-fi craving lately) to make me love this book even more.


Under the Never Sky is quite obviously a book I really enjoyed. And I hope everyone who picks up this book will, too.


Review: 5 stars
Date Published: January 3rd 2012 
Publisher: Harper Collins

Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Date Read: May 2012
Page Count: 374
Series/Stand Alone: First in two-book series

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews