Review: Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns


Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer Q gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.







Review: 

I'm so disappointed. I went into Paper Towns with a level of expectations and I really enjoyed the first half of Paper Towns so much. I loved Quentin and his friends, thoughts that they were unique and I absolutely fell in love when I realised both our parents had pulled similar sixteenth birthday car tricks on us.

So what happened?

Margo Roth Spiegelman happened. 

Margo, to me, comes across as the most selfish and unrealistic character ever. Not too mention the most manipulative to have Quentin wrapped around her finger like she did! I really wanted to love her intelligence and her opinions on people, I really did. But Margo is just a mirror--she's saying all these things about people when she is what she says. Is that the point Green was trying to make with Margo? Possibly. Did it work? I don't know.

When the half-way point came I also came to really hate Quentin. Here is this smart, funny guy who is basically chasing after wind. He's in love with a girl who doesn't exist and I don't think that anybody would do this for someone who they have supposedly "loved" from afar. I just... The second half of this book rubbed me the completely wrong away and I can't seem to move on from that.

I am more than filling to try The Fault In Our Stars. I really liked Green's humour, although I did have problems with some of his dialogue. Did anybody else find those big chunky paragraphs of "she said, '....', then I said, '....', then she said" etc etc annoying?

Needless to say I was expecting a lot more and was rather disappointed.

Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews